2017 Predictions

Admin1
Admin1

Top Tier
1. Camberwell: Too strong all over the park. Will be interesting to see how they play for KA.
2. Greensborough: Return to the status quo.
3. Powerhouse: Strong first XV but don't see them having the necessary depth.
4. Hawthorn- Will play some exciting hockey. Every chance to push higher.

Second Tier
5. Doncaster: Kiran and McBride missing will hurt but do have more depth than others around the mark.
6. Waverley: About time they start to deliver. Is Steinfort the most overrated player in Premier League?
7. MCC: Will grind out results as per usual.
8. Altona: Definitely could finish higher.

The rest:
9. Southern United - L'Hullier not playing this year (or so the rumours say), Waseem a big in. Still will need a more consistent path to goal.
10. Footscray - the cupboard is looking bare but still have enough good players to drag them over some.
11. MUHC - Luscombe, Wookey and imports. Good core.
12. Mentone - They have a deep squad... just don't think they have the top line players to do any more damage than this.
13. Essendon - Will need their youngsters to step up to finish higher.
14. TEM - Will be fit and discplined. Just don't see them scoring enough to win many.
15. Yarra style of hockey needs to change dramatically. Long balls won't work here.

Comments

• Catboy
    Catboy

Meow,

Grand Final Contenders -
    Powerhouse - Depending on players returning, but by far have the easiest draw in the entire comp thanks to the new HV appointed employee
    Hawthorn - Depending on imports will be a team tough to defend against expecting some 10-0 results from some of the new teams
    Camberwell - Just can't seem to get rid of them, powerful unit.

Second tear,
    Greensborough - Think they might struggle a little this year new coach and could drop a few games throughout the season
    Doncaster - Young side with some good talent but still playing as individuals who knows what they are capable of if they can pull it together, If Kieran goes to perth, could be in serious trouble
    Waverly - Make or break this year potentially could sneak into a top 6 performance
    MCC - will rattle a few teams and will be looking to lift on pervious strong years
    Altona - Tough to beat at home same as MCC will give some of the top teams a run but will miss on finals

Lower Half

Southern - Handy pick up getting a "tidy" defender off powerhouse but unless they can find another 30+ goals this year I don't suspect them to be doing too much damage
    Essendon - Will struggle probably only compete with teams in this lower half section
    MUHC - I think these guys are the ones to watch, I'm suspecting a fair few Kiwi accents to be floating around this year and depending on who they pick up will see where they land
    Footscray - have struggled since they have stop buying players (love a bit of footscray bashing) and suspect them to be finished halfway into the year

VL1 Representatives
    - Yarra I suspect a couple of imports to help but might pick up a win against another Vl1 otherwise it'll be a long year
    - Tem, saw they have a couple of spanish imports on the forums and lets hope they're names are Santi Freixa and David Alegre
    - Mentone, Boucher to have a big year and Im guessing they will perform the best out of the VL1 contenders purely out of experience

Meow,

• HockeyTragic
    HockeyTragic
    Melbourne

Speaking of 2017 Predictions - I predict there will be some backlash against the mid-week fixturing.

Can anyone explain this to me?

Round 22 (Game 11) - mid-week games
    Yarra v Waverley at S-1
    SUHC v MUHC at Doncaster
    Doncaster v TEM at Greensborough
    Hawthorn v Greensborough at Maribyrnong
    Camberwell v Footscray at S-2
    Powerhouse v Altona at Greensborough
    Mentone v Essendon at S-1
    MCC - bye

• Catboy
    Catboy

I think most of the players would all rather take the night off....

Greensborough driving to the next suburb over to Altona and Altona driving to Greensborough....

Looks like MCC have pulled the best hand here!

• scholesy18
    scholesy18
    Altona

@HockeyTragic said:
    Speaking of 2017 Predictions - I predict there will be some backlash against the mid-week fixturing.

Can anyone explain this to me?

Round 22 (Game 11) - mid-week games
    Yarra v Waverley at S-1
    SUHC v MUHC at Doncaster
    Doncaster v TEM at Greensborough
    Hawthorn v Greensborough at Maribyrnong
    Camberwell v Footscray at S-2
    Powerhouse v Altona at Greensborough
    Mentone v Essendon at S-1
    MCC - bye

Absolute debacle this. This is what happens when you bow down to automatic fixturing systems instead of using some common sense, however that has never been a HV fixturing strong point.

I've seen some bizarre decisions from HV, but this one takes the cake. Those at the SHC won't be too upset, but why do/are the others giving up home games?

Why can't the fixtures be over a few weeks to maximise the SHC?

If it's a lighting issue, at the very least as you've suggested move the Powerhouse vs Altona game to Maribyrnong and swap with Hawthorn vs Greensborough (then Hawthorn and Greensborough can swap the fixture so that Hawthorn keep their homegame)

SUHC vs MUHC is just as odd. What would they have made Albury do if they were still in the comp - pushed them to play a midweek fixture in Geelong?

• Put_her_in_H
    Put_her_in_H

Essendon won 5-2 over PEGS last weekend in final prac match. Will need to lift significantly to make an impact on prems this year

• Grizzly
    Grizzly

****ROUND 1 Predictions****

Men
    Hawthorn V Powerhouse - 3-2 Powerhouse
    Camberwell v Waverley - Camberwell 3-1
    Doncaster v Southern - Doncaster 5-2
    Greensborough v Essendon - Greenborough 3-0
    MUHC v TEM - MUHC 2-1
    MCC v Altona - 2-2 Draw
    Mentone v Yarra - 2-1 Mentone

Women
    Hawthorn V KBH - Hawthorn 6-0
    Camberwell v Waverley - Camberwell 4-1
    Doncaster v Southern - Doncaster 3-1
    Greensborough v Essendon - Greensborough 2-1
    MUHC v TEM - TEM 2-0
    MCC v Altona - MCC 3-2
    Mentone v Yarra - Mentone 4-1

• Catboy
    Catboy

Men
    Hawthorn V Powerhouse - 4-1
    Camberwell v Waverley - 4-1
    Doncaster v Southern - 2-2
    Greensborough v Essendon - 4-0
    MUHC v TEM - 2-1
    MCC v Altona - 1-3
    Mentone v Yarra - 2-1

I'm interested to see the results from the Mentone-Yarra and the MUHC v TEM game more than any others I think...

• Jemma
    Jemma

@Grizzly said:

Men
    Hawthorn V Powerhouse - 3-2 Powerhouse
    Camberwell v Waverley - Camberwell 3-1
    Doncaster v Southern - Doncaster 5-2
    Greensborough v Essendon - Greenborough 3-0
    MUHC v TEM - MUHC 2-1
    MCC v Altona - 2-2 Draw
    Mentone v Yarra - 2-1 Mentone

Women
    Hawthorn V KBH - Hawthorn 6-0
    Camberwell v Waverley - Camberwell 4-1
    Doncaster v Southern - Doncaster 3-1
    Greensborough v Essendon - Greensborough 2-1
    MUHC v TEM - TEM 2-0
    MCC v Altona - MCC 3-2
    Mentone v Yarra - Mentone 4-1

Not bad predictions, although the wins by Burra were a lot more significant. Loss for Donnie to start the season, and Altona got up over MCC.

• Jemma
    Jemma

So what happened to Waverley? Two forfeits?

• imabonga
    imabonga

what do you mean two forfeits? why would they forfeit and mens or womens?

• blackmagic
    blackmagic
    Both mpl and wpl marked as forfeits by Waverley and 5-0 to camberwell (though camberwell appeared to have won both matches regardless).

Can someone shed some light on this?

Also, is it just me or has the level of interest on the forum dropped off significantly since the change of website?
  • HockeyTragic
    HockeyTragic
    Melbourne

@blackmagic said:
    Both mpl and wpl marked as forfeits by Waverley and 5-0 to camberwell (though camberwell appeared to have won both matches regardless).

Can someone shed some light on this?

I'm also keen to hear the reason behind this!

No real surprises so far for the men this round with everything pretty much going as expected:
    Burra 4 - 0 Mentone
    Waverey 6 - 1 Yarra Valley
    Hawthorn 1 - 0 EHC
    Powerhouse 3 - 0 TEM
    Footscray 1 - 3 Camberwell
    Melbourne Uni 1 - 3 Southern

Interesting match up the first time TEM has taken on Powerhouse at Premier League level in a long time!

• HockeyTragic
    HockeyTragic
    Melbourne

I've got one more prediction, Emily Hurtz to win the WPL goal scoring.

9 goals in two games :o