2019 Premier League Discussion

Grizzly
Grizzly
edited February 12 in Hockey in Victoria

How do we think 2019 will pan out? Who will be the big risers and fallers?

Any blockbuster player movement?

Will KBH buck the trend and cause some damage in their first year back? Can Southern go back to back?

Comments

• JrH
    JrH

My prediction

1 Camberwell
    2 Southern United
    3 Doncaster
    4 MCC
    5 Greensborough
    6 Footscray
    7 Waverley
    8 MUHC
    9 Powerhouse/St.Kilda
    10 Altona
    11 Essendon
    12 Hawthorn
    13 TEM
    14 KBH
    15 Mentone
    16 Brunswick

• Swampus
    Swampus
    While it would be an indictment on the LEC, I would love to see Brunswick get relegated after all the garbage they spouted when they were in VL1.
  • Max
    Max
    Oscar Wookey has transfered back to Essendon to join a talented young lineup that will only get better.. I predict they’ll sneak into finals in 2019.
    Statsmaster5000
  • Grizzly
    Grizzly

@Max said:
    Oscar Wookey has transfered back to Essendon to join a talented young lineup that will only get better.. I predict they’ll sneak into finals in 2019.

Expect Phil Burrows to ring even some more Kiwis at MUHC.

Wookie makes Essendon look much stronger!

• Stickball
    Stickball
    Why’re you predicting the big slide for powerhouse?!
  • Stickball
    Stickball
    Anyone catch the hit out st SUHC? Anything interesting?
  • Grizzly
    Grizzly

The Goalkeeper merry-go-round is in full swing:

Tom Scott - Waverley --> KBH
    Tom Cole - Yarra --> MUHC
    Pinnegar - Altona --> Hawthorn
    Dan Shaw -- Footscray --> Brunswick

• Havolaus
    Havolaus

Prediction:

1 Camberwell
    2 MCC
    3 Southern United
    4 Doncaster
    5 Powerhouse/St.Kilda
    6 Essendon
    7 Hawthorn
    8 Footscray

9 Waverley
    10 MUHC
    11 Altona
    12 Greensborough
    13 KBH
    14 Mentone
    15 TEM
    16 Brunswick

• Grizzly
    Grizzly

My predicted ladder:

1. Camberwell
    2. Doncaster
    3. Southern United
    4. Powerhouse
    5. Footscray
    6. Essendon
    7. Waverley
    8. MCC
    9. Altona
    10. MUHC
    11. Hawthorn
    12. Greensborough
    13. Mentone
    14. KBH
    15. TEM
    16. Brunswick
  • Grizzly
    Grizzly

What's everyone's thoughts on the Home Finals in the first week of PL?

Could make a parking/logistical nightmare if a club such as MCC gets a home final?

• Stickball
    Stickball
    Mcc would be relying on Donny to lose to tems. As hot/cold as Donny have been can’t see that happening...
  • Stickball
    Stickball
    And parking is a shiiiitshow at the snhc anyway
  • Jemma
    Jemma

Home finals will be a challenge for HV to make work for clubs with men and women PL / PLR in different locations.

• Grizzly
    Grizzly

@Stickball said:
    Mcc would be relying on Donny to lose to tems. As hot/cold as Donny have been can’t see that happening...

MCC was just an example.... that boomgate always annoys me.

But there are plenty of PL clubs where parking would be an issue. Camberwell already ask players to park a distance from the ground and walk there. Increased spectators are going to make things interesting.

It was a nightmare at the hockey centre but at least there was ample space generally.

• fair_bump_play_on
    fair_bump_play_on
    I think it’s great and rewards teams who deserve it. Who cares about parking, it’s hard to get a park at the mcg during big games but we get over it. Let the teams celebrate the advantage of a home game.
  • spectator
    spectator
    Melbourne

Week one of the finals and what interesting results. Bit of a changing of the guard with Greensborough and Doncaster out in week one and Footscray, Essendon and MCC showing up some strong teams. The two teams that headed the table for the vast majority of the home and away season both falling in amazing style. How did Waverley with their highly respected Spanish goalkeeper manage to let go 8 goals over two weeks to Camberwell and not score even one.
    Makes for and interesting next three weeks with Southern now in the same group as Camberwell.
    Any predictions as to who will play in the big dance in three weeks?

• Grizzly
    Grizzly

@spectator said:
    Week one of the finals and what interesting results. Bit of a changing of the guard with Greensborough and Doncaster out in week one and Footscray, Essendon and MCC showing up some strong teams. The two teams that headed the table for the vast majority of the home and away season both falling in amazing style. How did Waverley with their highly respected Spanish goalkeeper manage to let go 8 goals over two weeks to Camberwell and not score even one.
    Makes for and interesting next three weeks with Southern now in the same group as Camberwell.
    Any predictions as to who will play in the big dance in three weeks?

Couldn't agree more. What a great finals series to date!!!

My predictions for this weekend are:
    MPL - Footscray over MCC
    MPL - Southern over Camberwell
    WPL- Mentone with an upset over Hawthorn
    WPL - Footscray over Southern

• TRNAdmin
    TRNAdmin

Very good predictions @Grizzly, apart from a couple of late goals from Hawthorn, was looking spot on.

We didn't watch the game but have heard that Southern scored against Camberwell with 12 on the field - is this true? What were the circumstances?

• Jemma
    Jemma

Looking at the live stream, not sure they had 12 players when the goal was scored. Just looks like a screw up after the goal. The captain got a yellow card for the screw up

• spectator
    spectator
    Melbourne

Southern scored a goal at the 54th minute and were given a yellow card at the 56th minute for having 12 on the field. Whilst what Jemma is suggesting may be correct there is also a strong possibility that it may not. I am in favour of the Aussie Rules rule that once a team is discovered to have extra folk on the field then they automatically loose their entire score.
    Interestingly it was not the tech bench that noticed the issue but one of the CHC coaches.
    Rules are that a yellow card is given and that was done but the timing of the circumstances leaves a doubtful question in the air.
    That said Southern won and should do the same at the big dance.

• stevep
    stevep

I am a one-eyed Camberwell supporter.

The first thing to be said is a hearty congratulations to Southern who've had a great season and advance with the chance to defend their 2018 premiership. Can't get much better than that.

Shortly after Southern went ahead they were found to have an extra player on the field and paid the prescribed penalty in having their captain issued a yellow card. Whether the extra player was on the field when the goal was scored or not is irrelevant in the rules and there's no provision to challenge that.

I've actually had a look at the Camberwell footage of the game and while there's always a few players out of frame I don't believe 12 men were on the field for the goal. Most likely in the bulk rotations that happen immediately after the score there was a simple mistake.

There can be no suggestion this was anything other than an honest and brief mix-up and it did not effect the outcome of the game.

Camberwell probably had the best of the second half in terms of possession and circle entries but we made a couple of defensive errors and didn't take our chance to equalise with that stroke. If you don't take these chances against a strong team you're probably not going to win and that can be the margin at the pointy end of such a tight season.

Good luck to Southern & Footscray in the final - we'll be even more hungry next year.

Cheers,
    Steve.