Hockeyroo to AFLW

scholesy18
scholesy18

So it's finally happened. AFLW have started poaching hockeyroos. Whilst AFLW is currently a summer sport and the payment structure is low, it's one more thing to take talented female athletes away from our game.

Hopefully Georgie Parker decides to sign up for a HV Prem club as well to play with in the winter, but what is the long term impact to hockey and in particular clubs meeting LEC female participation requirements???

Comments

• HockeyTragic
    HockeyTragic
    Melbourne

Interesting thought @scholesy18 - a player with her talent would be great to see in WPL, but surely there will be a requirement from Collingwood to play VFL when the season is done?

Would be interesting to see!

Currently Clare Messent is running around in the amateurs and for Hawthorn, maybe Parker could make that work?

• scholesy18
    scholesy18
    Altona

@HockeyTragic said:
    Interesting thought @scholesy18 - a player with her talent would be great to see in WPL, but surely there will be a requirement from Collingwood to play VFL when the season is done?

Would be interesting to see!

Currently Clare Messent is running around in the amateurs and for Hawthorn, maybe Parker could make that work?

There are plenty of the athletes juggling other sport at the moment, I don't think it would be mandatory for her to play VFL untl AFLW up the payments to a reasonable level. You'd think there would restraint of trade (or in hockey case - fun) issues if they mandated that, it may come down to how well she could kick a footy. And yep, I've no doubt Messy could transfer her talent to AFLW - from all report she's dominating. There are a few others around I'm sure that could easily transition whilst the comp is in it's infancy...

I'm more concerned about the long term impact for clubs, it's hard enough keeping girls/women playing as it is with all the other obstacles!