Season 2017 Results, ongoing predictions

Put_her_in_H
Put_her_in_H

A discussion for all ongoing results and predictions for 2017. Let's get around the new site set up and comment!

Comments

• Put_her_in_H
    Put_her_in_H

My Predictions are
    Prems- Camberwell finish top but Burra win it. MUHC the surprise packet
    VL1- Casey, Kew the teams to watch. Brunswick to shoot up the table
    VL2- Old Xavs and St Bedes promotion front runners. Everyone's talking up Bayside to do well but see what happens.
    VL3- Melton to dominiate

• Put_her_in_H
    Put_her_in_H

@Put_her_in_H said:
    My Predictions are
    Prems- Camberwell finish top but Burra win it. MUHC the surprise packet
    VL1- Casey, Kew the teams to watch. Brunswick to shoot up the table
    VL2- Old Xavs and St Bedes promotion front runners. Everyone's talking up Bayside to do well but see what happens.
    VL3- Melton to dominiate

Or, we can all just sit around and let this site die. All I know is I'm bored at work.

• stingray
    stingray

Fair predictions.
    Prem- Camberwell, and Burra final
    I think Southern will be climbing up the ladder this year, I think MUHC and Mentone will be a close game.
    VL1 - KBH will be the team to beat, I think WestVic will be right up there with a high scoring game
    VL2 - Old Xavs, Monash, and Werribee will be fighting for promotion
    VL3 - Dandenong should have the depth to move back up

• lemon
    lemon

PL- I think Hawthorne and Powerhouse will be pushing Camberwell and Burra this year. Yarra and Tem will probably go the season with very few wins.
    VL1 - Casey have the experience from PL and should be able to dominate this level
    VL2 - Old Xavs and CV if they can manage a full strength side every week.

• Put_her_in_H
    Put_her_in_H

@lemon said:
    PL- I think Hawthorne and Powerhouse will be pushing Camberwell and Burra this year. Yarra and Tem will probably go the season with very few wins.
    VL1 - Casey have the experience from PL and should be able to dominate this level

Why CV over Werribee, Monash et all? Not having a go just curious

• Put_her_in_H
    Put_her_in_H

@stingray said:
    Fair predictions.
    Prem- Camberwell, and Burra final
    I think Southern will be climbing up the ladder this year, I think MUHC and Mentone will be a close game.
    VL1 - KBH will be the team to beat, I think WestVic will be right up there with a high scoring game
    VL2 - Old Xavs, Monash, and Werribee will be fighting for promotion
    VL3 - Dandenong should have the depth to move back up

Yeah KBH will be strong. Casey aren't as strong as some say. Club really lacks depth
    West Vic- who knows really. New recruits but they've lost some old ones. Surprise packet

• up_the_rays
    up_the_rays

@Put_her_in_H said:

@lemon said:

Why CV over Werribee, Monash et all? Not having a go just curious

Cmon mate , seems like you're having a go!
    Haven't seen Frankston on any of these ...
    The way they have been playing they must be on everyone's radar

• lemon
    lemon

@Put_her_in_H
    CV have good young players, backing from their local government and a good track record of home games. They play fast aggressive hockey and only get better as the season goes on. Don't get me wrong Werribee and Monash will be strong sides as always I just think CV have the momentum at the moment.

• stingray
    stingray

@up_the_rays
    How did Frankston go in the Prac match against Casey?

• Put_her_in_H
    Put_her_in_H

Frankston for the flag. Happy guys?
    La Trobe to battle this year. 9 senior guys have made for the doors. Retirements, moved clubs. It's going to hurt

• up_the_rays
    up_the_rays

@Put_her_in_H said:
    Frankston for the flag. Happy guys?
    La Trobe to battle this year. 9 senior guys have made for the doors. Retirements, moved clubs. It's going to hurt

That's what I like to hear! UP THE RAYS !!
    Where ya boys headed off to?
    Surely they'd be coming down my way if they wanted VL1 success .

• stingray
    stingray
    Mornington won't win a game
  • Jemma
    Jemma

Interesting results during the week, Burra draw with Waverley, Camberwell draw with MCC. Not what is expected of the two "expected" finalists.

Essendon round 2 and 3 results also strong although not getting the win.

• lemon
    lemon
    @Jemma
    You are right very interesting results. Will be good to see if they come back into form or if that's they way they are headed this year with a couple of outs. Maybe a few players unavailable for the mid week games?

What's all this talk about Frankston? Digging into their pockets, is that meaning paying for a couple of internationals?

@Put_her_in_H
    Where have all the La Tribe guys gone?
  • butterfly_killer
    butterfly_killer
    Are we talking about the Frankston team playing at Mentone or Frankston stingrays?
  • stingray
    stingray
    @butterfly_killer
    Like Mornington is much better. They still have S Pate
  • HockeyTragic
    HockeyTragic
    Melbourne

@Jemma said:
    Interesting results during the week, Burra draw with Waverley, Camberwell draw with MCC. Not what is expected of the two "expected" finalists.

Essendon round 2 and 3 results also strong although not getting the win.

I'd be interested from anyone who has seen Camberwell play, still a star-studded line-up but are they lacking firepower without Kleinschmidt?

• butterfly_killer
    butterfly_killer
    Can someone confirm Casey going down to mornington in a practice match?
  • lemon
    lemon
    @HockeyTragic
    I agree would love to know despite the score how the field play looked
  • Muppet
    Muppet
    Casey won 3-1. Scrappy game. Wouldn't take the result to seriously with both teams missing players.
  • Catboy
    Catboy

Altona 2 - Burra 3 Close game at Altona but Burra to be too strong
    Tem 1 - Camberwell 7 - Wellers too strong
    Footscray 2 - Waverly 5 - Waverly looking strong this year with really positive results so far
    Southern 2 - Hawthorn 3 Hawthorn to just sneak over the line
    Powerhouse 8 - MUHC 1 Powerhouse to be to strong the gap between the top and the bottom teams to big HV....
    Mentone 2 - MCC 3 Mentone to sneak in a couple of goals
    Essendon 1 - Doncaster 4 - Doncaster too strong

Thoughts?

• hvmember
    hvmember

Not really massively surprising to me. These midweek games can throw teams off a fair bit, furthermore Waverley and MCC might not be flag contenders but they certainly have the ability to put up a good fight to even your strongest teams. Especially on a weird midweek round that can result in some weird results.

• Put_her_in_H
    Put_her_in_H

La Trobe's boys have left for a varitey or placed, including Camberwell, Yarra, and the sunny shores of retirement. Hopefully the club can put up a fight this year.

But yeah, Round 1 for the rest of the comp this week!!

• Put_her_in_H
    Put_her_in_H

@Catboy said:
    Altona 2 - Burra 3 Close game at Altona but Burra to be too strong
    Tem 1 - Camberwell 7 - Wellers too strong
    Footscray 2 - Waverly 5 - Waverly looking strong this year with really positive results so far
    Powerhouse 8 - MUHC 1 Powerhouse to be to strong the gap between the top and the bottom teams to big HV....
    Mentone 2 - MCC 3 Mentone to sneak in a couple of goals
    Essendon 1 - Doncaster 4 - Doncaster too strong

Thoughts?

Sounds about right. Hawthorn scoreline will blow out further, the match against Essendon was an outlier. Essendon Hawthorn matches are always close.
    MCC to do a demolition job against Mentone though. Hoepfully not, but that's where the money's at.

• hvmember
    hvmember

Hawthorn will do much more than just sneak over the line. Southern's start to the season has included the kind of teams they can match up against well, compared to results from last year this is even more obvious. Their position at the top of the ladder after three games feels to me like North Melbourne's at the start of last year's AFL, but less exciting. Southern now have to play Hawthorn, Powerhouse then Hawthorn again. Might be a tough three weeks at the office.

• hvmember
    hvmember

My Predictions

Altona v Burra - Burra should win this. Traditionally a harder match for clubs heading out west, but this will be Altona's first match played on their new surface, so will be interesting to see whether this changes things. Burra have always looked good playing on faster surfaces, and Altona have always held an advantage with what has always been a slow surface at home. 3||4 - 1 to Burra

TEM v Camberwell - Camberwell too strong across the board here. Return of the Jesse Foster cup. This could be a 7-1 sort of game if it's a scoring frenzy, otherwise I'd expect something like 4-0 to Camberwell.

Footscray v Waverley - Waverley should be able to win this one, but it's at Footscray and from what I've seen I'm not sold on the recent school of thought that Waverley are really much more than they have been in recent years. Footscray are going to dig their heels in and make this game really hard for Waverley. A 1-1 or 2-2 match in my opinion. If Waverley can win this it'll be by a goal.

Hawthorn v Southern - As above, Hawthorn much too strong here. Southern have regularly had their arse handed to them at home as well, so the home/away debate doesn't really come into it here. Hawthorn by 3 or more goals in a totally controlled game.

Powerhouse v Melb. Uni - Powerhouse should have this one in the bag. Why HV continues to allow them to play matches on that Albert Park surface is literally beyond me, but I digress. 4-2 or 3-1 to Powerhouse.

Mentone v MCC - MCC will win this. 3-0

Essendon v Doncaster - Doncaster will enjoy a chance to get another win on the board and hopefully beef up their goal difference. Will be shocked if Essendon win this.

• Put_her_in_H
    Put_her_in_H

VL1 Rd 1 predictions-

PEGS over Gippsland 3-0
    Casey over Frankston 3-0
    West Vic over La Trobe 6-0
    Mornington draw with Hockey Geelong 1-1
    KBH over Brunswick 4-3

Thoughts?

• lemon
    lemon
    Interesting prediction. What makes you think it'll be so close between Mornington and Geelong and KBH and Brunswick
  • stevep
    stevep

@blackmagic said:
    Also, is it just me or has the level of interest on the forum dropped off significantly since the change of website?

Definitely. I'm a Camberwell supported and no doubt a bit biased so take the following with a grain of salt. Good to have more discussion here though.

@HockeyTragic said:
    I'd be interested from anyone who has seen Camberwell play, still a star-studded line-up but are they lacking firepower without Kleinschmidt?

Aaron was scoring goals for fun last season and there will likely be games where his dominance could have crushed an opponent early-on or snatched a winner in a tight game. Time will tell how significant his absence is but the cupboard's not exactly left bare in terms of scoring goals.

Copey has started strongly. He was having a fantastic season himself remember last year until injured late on at Burra and will score plenty. Coates is also back this season and already a strong influence with his strength and pace and already has 6 goals. When you also add the pace and movement from Webster, O'Shea and Hendry there's a lot of attacking options.

@Jemma said:

We never seem to play well at these fixtures. Last season we struggled to beat a poor Footscray at S-2 and the previous year got pipped by Powerhouse in a scrappy game.

We did have Copey and Philpott out from the previous match but MCC are a good team and they employed clever tactics against us - flooding the circle in defence but also playing fast high forwards which limited our press and disrupted our setup and movement around the back.

Camberwell got on top in the second half with multiple short corners and had a couple of disallowed goals but MCC could have pinched the game with their own short corner after time which went in but too high from a hit.

A draw was a fair result in the end.

• Jemma
    Jemma

@hvmember said:

Hawthorn will do much more than just sneak over the line. Southern's start to the season has included the kind of teams they can match up against well, compared to results from last year this is even more obvious. Their position at the top of the ladder after three games feels to me like North Melbourne's at the start of last year's AFL, but less exciting. Southern now have to play Hawthorn, Powerhouse then Hawthorn again. Might be a tough three weeks at the office.

Most people were right on for the PL results, except for this and Burra.

What is happening at Southern. An Ephraum and all their other strong kids out and they still can get a draw with Hawthorn. Or is Hawthorn just not as strong.
    And Burra goes down by 2 to Altona.