What's going on with HV's social hockey programs?

hvmember
hvmember

HV seem to be really stepping up their promotion of J-Ball, their idea of a social, super accessible version of the sport that anyone can play. The idea of this is great in my opinion, and I'd love to see something like this working properly, only nobody seems to want to play it, and tbh I'm not that surprised. Not only is there J-Ball, but hockey sixers too, which is also going on at the same time and seems to be aimed at a similar target. According to HV, just under a hundred participants took part in both formats together, and only a little over 25 in J-ball. Furthermore, they mention the addition of another format, KE40:

It will be initially aimed at the parents of junior hockey players, as it will be delivered during junior training sessions.

That'll be interesting.

I find this a bit of a mess, we have new 'social' formats of hockey popping up all over the place and none of them seem to be getting the proper attention. Not to mention there are clubs already running their own internal versions of things like Hockey Sixers, why would they hand over control of this to HV?

What are your thoughts, is this actually going to help grow hockey in Victoria? Or is this a colossal waste of time and resources for very little gain?

Comments

• Grizzly
    Grizzly

Valid question.

I even think Social Hockey participation is going to included in the LEC... seems a bit rich to me.

• Jemma
    Jemma

It certainly is in LEC for Unis - from HV LEC document on HV website. Rumour has it all clubs will need to do something.

Social Participants 17
    1 participation point per 8 Registered Social
    Participants

REGISTERED SOCIAL PARTICIPANT
    A Registered Social Participant is an individual participant registered in J-Ball or HockeySixers or as a registered
    participant playing in an internally managed program for participants who do not play for the club in
    traditional hockey. Accepted registrations include Sports TG or any other social hockey registration system
    developed and used by HV.

• HockeyTragic
    HockeyTragic
    Melbourne

@hvmember said:
    HV seem to be really stepping up their promotion of J-Ball, their idea of a social, super accessible version of the sport that anyone can play. The idea of this is great in my opinion, and I'd love to see something like this working properly, only nobody seems to want to play it, and tbh I'm not that surprised.

This is about where I am at with it as well, it is a great idea in principle, but I just can't really see who is going to play it?

I think KE40 is going to be a group fitness style program run on hockey pitches rather than anything actually hockey skills related, but I 100% agree launching with 3 new formats when no one is too sure what each of them are makes it super confusing. And back to your original point, I just don't really see too much incentive for someone who has never played to try J-Ball.

I'm not sure on the exact numbers of people who play hockey in schools or in juniors and then drop out, I feel like you would be better off targeting these people to come back to the sport - in more like a hockey sixers format. They have had some experience - hopefully positive - but then dropped out because they turned 18/left school/moved for uni, whatever it is. Get these people back for a fun social hit one night a week.

• hv_apologist
    hv_apologist

@HockeyTragic said:

@hvmember said:

I think KE40 is going to be a group fitness style program run on hockey pitches rather than anything actually hockey skills related, but I 100% agree launching with 3 new formats when no one is too sure what each of them are makes it super confusing. And back to your original point, I just don't really see too much incentive for someone who has never played to try J-Ball.

If implemented like this, I feel like it could do SUPER well.
    Big IF though.

• Jemma
    Jemma

@HockeyTragic said:

@hvmember said:

I think KE40 is going to be a group fitness style program run on hockey pitches rather than anything actually hockey skills related,

Will be interesting to find all the spare pitch time for this

• HockeyTragic
    HockeyTragic
    Melbourne

@Jemma said:

Will be interesting to find all the spare pitch time for this

Interesting point - the funny thing with hockey fields is they tend to be packed at the main times of training at night and weekend games during the winter and then vacant for much of the daytime and summer! I think that is part of the plan, to fix the vacant times - but then that obviously doesn't match with what I mentioned about junior training times.

Super keen to see how it gets worked out. Great idea if it means utilising field time and parents time better than both are currently, but seems an almost impossible goal.